Business Computing and Information Systems
Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ) Level 4
The Level 4 Diploma in Business Information Technology (QCF) (L4DBIT) makes up the first year of the Prime Higher Education degree journey. The qualification is equivalent to the first year of an IT degree in the UK university system.
You will be given the opportunity to develop essential thinking and study skills in IT and business through a balance of academic and vocational subjects. You will be able to contribute to the development of computer systems and networks, databases and websites in a business context, whilst also developing an awareness of business needs. The qualification will allow you to understand and enter the IT and business profession with the necessary knowledge expected within the industry and the ability to apply the skills to a range of IT-related functions.
On successful completion of the qualification you will be able to embark on Prime Education's Level 5 Diploma in Business Information Technology (QCF) (L5DBIT), which is equivalent to the second year of a UK Bachelor's degree, transfer to a university or pursue a career in the IT industry.
For entry onto the Prime Higher Education qualification you must have at least one of the following:
Prime Education International Foundation Year (IFY), Level 3 Diploma in Computing (QCF) (L3DC) or Level 3 Diploma in Business (QCF) (L3DB).
An international qualification which is deemed to be of a similar level to the Prime Education IFY, L3DC or L3DB qualification. This must be agreed with Prime Education in advance.
A Levels, IB or a conclusion of the secondary education with a minimum of B2
Mature students need to demonstrate over two years' relevant work experience and also hold O' level/GCSE English and Maths or equivalent.
If you're a potential student whose first language is not English, you will need to obtain a valid score of 5.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination or equivalent. Alternatively, take the free Prime Education Higher English Placement Test, which is administered by our Accredited Partner Centres.
You must study the following eight core units:
- Skills for Computing - provides the essential skills for a computing student (study, presentation,
report-writingand data handling). Not only will this unit prepare you for successful outcomes in your studies, but it will also provide you with skills that can be applied in the workplace.
- Computer Networks - networking and communication skills are vitally important in today's connected world. In this
unityou will develop a good understanding of basic theory, but will also develop useful practical skills.
- Computer Systems - addresses the development of practical skills in the configuration, maintenance, fault-finding and trouble- shooting of modern computer systems and develops knowledge of computer architecture.
- Designing and Developing a Website - develops practical skills in website design by providing a detailed understanding of markup languages, style sheets, design techniques and testing.
- Databases - provides thorough training in practical techniques of the design and development of database systems together with developing a sound understanding of the underpinning theory.
- eBusiness - gives you the opportunity to examine how organisations can use all aspects of eBusiness to create new products and services, reduce the cost of existing business processes and improve the efficiency of their operations using typical revenue models.
- Essentials of Management - covers the principles and functions of management, teaching you the key elements in planning and decision-making and the significance of different controls required in an organisation.
- Understanding Business Organisations - provides an introduction to the objectives, roles, functions and various forms of business organisation as they adapt to a dynamic and changing environment, and also considers information and technology in regards to efficiency and performance.
Assessments for all units are offered in a number of assessment cycles throughout the year. All units are assessed by both examination and assignments.
On successful completion of Prime Higher Education's Level 4 Diploma in Business Information Technology