Business Computing and Information Systems
Framework for Higher Education Qualifications (FHEQ) Level 5
The Level 5 Diploma in Business Information Technology (QCF) (L5DBIT) makes up the second year of the Prime Higher Education degree journey and builds upon the knowledge gained during the Prime Higher Education Level 4 Diploma in in Business Information Technology. You will be exposed to more advanced topics in a range of areas including information systems analysis, database development and the principles of business operations.
You will study a balance of academic and vocational subjects in order to provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to play a significant role in IT and business organisations.
On successful completion of the
For entry onto the Prime Higher Education L5DBIT qualification you must have at least one of the following:
Prime Higher Education Level 4 Diploma in Business Information Technology (QCF) (L4DBIT).
A local or international qualification which is deemed to be of a similar level to the Prime Higher Education L4DBIT qualification. This must be agreed with Prime Higher Education in advance.
If you're a potential student whose first language is not English, you will need to obtain a valid score of 5.5 or above in the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination or equivalent. Alternatively, take the free Prime
You must study the following eight core units:
- Professional Issues in IT - highlights the professional issues that impact on the development, deployment, maintenance and use of computer systems. This unit will equip you with the knowledge surrounding social, ethical and legal issues applicable to the IT field and also a working understanding of software quality.
- Information Systems Analysis - equips you with a range of tools in order to analyse the function and requirements of information systems, as well as the skills to compare systems analysis models, and to examine them in the wider context of the Internet and the social, economic and political climate of an organisation.
- Dynamic Websites - builds on existing knowledge of both databases and web design in order to build dynamic websites and also equips you with a range of skills to present content on the World Wide Web.
- Database Design and Development - allows you to develop your skills in the design and development of databases and database management systems, as well as investigating enterprise applications of databases.
- Business IT Project - gives you the opportunity to gain practical experience in developing a system solution to an open-ended problem derived from the real world.
- Information Systems and Organisations - introduces you to the subject of information systems and technology in organisations, taking a broad perspective on how it can be managed effectively within the organisational context. You will be able to demonstrate an appreciation of the role of information systems in modern organisations, including the management of social, cultural and political aspects that are important to
successfuladoption of technology.
- Principles of Business Operations - is designed to help you appreciate and understand business operations in both the manufacturing and services sectors. The unit will cover the basic principles of operations within a global context from three key perspectives: understanding operations, designing operations and managing operations.
- Office Solutions Development - provides you with the skills to develop advanced features of office software and to employ and adapt them to support business functions.
On successful completion of the Prime Higher Education Level 5 Diploma in Business Information Technology (QCF), you will have acquired a critical understanding of the established principles of computing, and developed new skills relevant to the IT and business industries. You will have also gained a breadth of knowledge in IT and business, which will allow you to successfully implement your skills in further study or in a professional role within the IT and business professions.
Successful completion allows entry onto Prime Higher Education's final year top-up qualifications in Business Information Technology (further entry requirements may apply), or to